The Brain Injury Outreach program provides support, consultation, training, and education to service providers, families/caregivers, and individuals with acquired brain injury. In the interest of reintegrating and maintaining individuals with an acquired brain injury in their own community, the program partners with and complements existing local services. Limited and focused direct services to individuals with an acquired brain injury are also provided in the absence of informal and formal support systems.
The program is comprised of a core interdisciplinary team of rehabilitation professionals knowledgeable in the neurocognitive and neurobehavioural consequences of an acquired brain injury.
What Services Do We Provide?
Support, consultation, training and education services are available in the following areas:
- functional, contextual, interdisciplinary assessment
- activities of daily living
- family education and support
- staff training
- general community education about acquired brain injury
- resource and information sharing
What Can You Expect?
- timely responses to requests for service
- respect for client dignity, privacy and caregiver/service provider expertise
- mutually-arranged, scheduled visits to the client's place of residence, school or workplace
- client-centred support and advocacy
- active partnership among client, family/caregiver, community service providers and Outreach staff
- functional, contextual, collaborative assessment and development of strategies and goals
- consultation, assessment and progress reports
- regular review of progress through client/family/team conferences
- evidence-based practice
- service outcome evaluation
The services provided by the Brain Injury Outreach Program are funded by the Ministry of Health and therefore are available at no cost to the referring agency, service provider or patient. Referrals (download the Acquired Brain Injury Program referral form) may be made by a person with an acquired brain injury, family member/caregiver, or any service provider, facility, agency, or organization. A physician's referral is not necessary.
For more information, please contact:
Jenna Junkin, Program Assistant
Phone: 519 685-4000 ext. 42669
Fax: 519 685-4022