Monitoring Intensity: Manual Pulse Rate Count
- Place your first two fingers on the thumb side of your wrist just below the creases. Press lightly, and feel the pulse in your radial artery.
- Count the number of beats you feel for a period of 10 seconds.
- Multiply the number of beats by 6 to find your resting heart rate in beats per minute.
Example: 11 beats/10 sec x 6 = 66 beats/minute
Monitoring Intensity: Using a Heart Rate Monitor
If you have difficulty finding or counting your pulse, you may want to wear a heart rate monitor during exercise
- Heart Rate Monitors can be purchased at WalMart (Sports/Fitness Section), National Sports, Sears
- Basic Models priced $ 50 - 60