City Wide Diabetes Nurse Educator
The city wide diabetes nurse educator will travel to and support all sites associated with St. Joseph's Health Care London and London Health Sciences Centre.
Contact Number: 519 658-8500 ext. 35142
or pager 519 685-8500 ext. 16312
Citywide hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 13:00 – 16:30
(Excludes stat holidays)
Home base is the Diabetes Education Centre at St Joseph’s Health Care London
Contact number: 519 661-1600
Fax: 519 661-1634
Reasons for Referral
- Patients with newly diagnosed type 1 or type 2 diabetes:
Teach survival skills: i.e. meter education, acceptable glucose values, insulin initiation, prevention and treatment of hypoglycemia
- Patients with established diabetes:
Assist with acute care needs: i.e. insulin initiation and other changes in medication regimens, education surrounding admissions for ketoacidosis
- Assessment of follow-up options:
- Act as liaison for the Diabetes Education Centre
- Collaborate with dietitian, CCAC, social work and physician etc.
- Provide contact information and facilitate referral process for out of town diabetes educators and education centers (provincially, nationally)
The city wide diabetes nurse educator is also responsible for:
- Providing inservices on topics pertinent to nursing units as requested: i.e. diabetes overview, diabetes and kidney disease, new insulin analogues and insulin adjustments, clinical practice guidelines, pens, meters etc.
- Orchestrating survival skill teaching by staff nurses for inpatients as indicated: i.e. diabetes binder on each unit with educational material to assist staff with after hours or weekend needs on unit
- Developing partnerships with other hospital programs: i.e. LHSC Renal Program