Visiting elective residents and clinical fellows are required to complete all of the following requirements prior to receiving confirmation of hospital privileges for their electives with London hospitals:
- Hospital Appointment letter and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification
- Privacy Agreement
- Health Review
- Canadian Medical Protective Agency (CMPA) coverage
- Electronic Health Record (EHR) training
- Online eLearning and declaration
- Preparing for your first day!
1. Appointment letter
Sign and return the Hospital Appointment letter you received in your hospital application package to Medical Affairs. Please indicate when you were last ACLS certified on the space provided on the Letter. (If ACLS is a requirement)
ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support):
Please indicate the date you last received ACLS certification where indicated on page 1 of the Appointment Letter. Please note that all PGY 1 and 2s are required to hold valid ACLS certification for the duration of their elective. Those PGY3 or greater are required to hold valid ACLS certification if they are completing electives in the following programs: Cardiology, Critical Care Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Internal Medicine, Anesthesia, OMFS, Psychiatry, Radiation Oncology, Respirology.
Please ensure you have completed the Privacy training and agreement you received as an attachment in your hospital application package.
3. Health Review
All electives must complete a health review IN FULL prior to being granted hospital privileges.
- Complete the health screen form and return, along with supporting documentation (such as proof of immunization), to Occupational Health at the address noted on the form. You may contact the Occupational Health Nurse at 519-685-8500 x52286 to follow up, if needed. As additional tests may require several weeks to complete, you are encouraged to begin this process well in advance of your anticipated start date.
- As part of the Health Review, you will be required to provide proof of TB testing received within the past 12 months. If you have had a positive TB skin test, you are also required to complete the Positive TB survey form
- Please ensure your N95 Respirator Fit-Testing certification is up to date, and that you have been fitted for one of the following mask types: 1860, 1860S, 1804 and 1870+
Please also ensure your Influenza Vaccination is current. Influenza Vaccination - Our Medical Advisory Committee (MAC) has passed a policy requiring all physicians/dentists/midwives/residents/clinical fellows as well as medical students to be vaccinated for influenza. If an individual has not been vaccinated and the local Medical Officer of Health declares an outbreak then the individual will be required to wear appropriate respiratory protection (currently defined as a procedure mask) while in patient care areas.
If you have not been vaccinated for influenza please take steps to be vaccinated prior to your arrival in London. Should you not be vaccinated and there is an outbreak at the time of your planned elective you will be asked to wear a mask as noted above.
We are now asking that students are fully vaccinated by Oct. 22. We appreciate that this deadline is now 9 days earlier than the Nov. 1st deadline, however, we believe this further ensures successful placements for students, as well as enhances safety for our patients and everyone in the hospital.
All elective residents and clinical fellows are required to have CMPA coverage in place for the duration of your elective period. Please provide a copy via email or fax to 519-667-6844.
If not, you may contact CMPA at 1-800-267-6522 and have them email proof of coverage.
5. Electronic Health Record (EHR) Training
Electronic Health Record (EHR) Training: (not required for those in radiology, Pathology or Emergency)
There has been a change to the training for EHR(Cerner Powerchart) as of Oct 18 2021 please register for an in class session to attend your first day or a class closest to your first day. If you cannot attend your first day, please ensure your supervising Physician is aware you have not yet taken the training.
If you start prior to Oct 18, you will receive a virtual training package closer to your start date.
This training must be completed PRIOR to starting your elective
* Please note that Cerner systems cannot be accessed prior to receiving this training
If you are completing a Emergency Medicine or FamMed/Emerge, elective you will not be required to do the EHR training. (Emerge and FamMed/Emerge are to complete FirstNet Training).
Emergency Department FirstNet Training
A link to FirstNet training will be send to you by the Emergency Department closer to your start date.
Return to top
All visiting elective residents/clinical fellows are required to complete a number of eLearning modules. These have been put in place for your safety and are a requirement of your hospital privileges. The only learning which requires a username and password to complete is the Privacy learning, the link and login information can be found in the attachment to your Hospital Application Package email which will be send from Medical Affairs.
The remaining eLearning and Declaration can be found on the Learning Page.
7.Preparing for your first day!
Click here for information on parking, ID badges, scrub cards and more!