Since its beginnings in 1870, the former mental health facility located on Highbury Ave. in London was at the forefront of innovation in the delivery of mental health services, serving the region for nearly 145 years before its closure in November of 2014.
In 2001 St. Joseph’s Health Care London (St. Joseph’s) assumed governance of both the London and St. Thomas mental health facilities at a pivotal time in the history and evolution of mental health care. Building on an already established foundation of excellence in care, St. Joseph’s took on the challenge of transforming mental health care within the organization and region alongside care providers, community partners and government stakeholders.
In November 2014, a new mental health facility opened – the Mental Health Care Building at Parkwood Institute –. Although mental health care services no longer reside at the Highbury Ave. location, the legacy of care, provided there will not be forgotten.
Learn about the history of care and the journey of mental health transformation in London as we have moved away from an institutionalized model of care, where a patient stayed in hospital for a long period of time- to a recovery model of care, one of hope and healing, where the goal is to help individuals who have mental health conditions live healthy, satisfying, and productive lives in their communities.