Questions that Guide the 'Discernment' Process: The Ethics Pocket Tool
Ethical Discernment is the process of focusing on, identifying and addressing ethical issues.
To help with this process, at St. Joseph’s we have developed this summary of the Ethics Pocket Tool:
- Naming the problem: What is the difficulty being faced?
- Who does the problem or situation affect?
- What are the FACTS that relate to the problem?
- What are the principles, values, beliefs & feelings of the parties involved?
- What are the “do-able” options in this situation?
- Which option has the best reasons supporting it?
- Reflect, Critique and Communicate.