History of Mental Health Care in London and St. Thomas

We are redesigning our website. Share your feedback in this short survey.


Regional Mental Health Care London

The former London Psychiatric Hospital opened its doors on the Highbury Avenue site in 1870 becoming part of a wide-spread movement across North America to create specialized institutions for the mentally ill. The 500 bed facility was instantly at capacity. In the 1930s there were over 1700 patients.

In the late 1800s almost all of the London Asylum for the Insane’s 900 patients were working in some capacity at the facility. Dr. Richard Bucke believed in the idea of work therapy, including farming, as treatment for those with mental illness, helping patients to focus on healthy activities.

Former London Mental Health Care Museum and video

The Archival and Teaching Museum at Regional Mental Health Care London transferred to Museum London in January 2009 - ensuring the community can share in the rich mental health history of this region.

Regional Mental Health Care St. Thomas

On April 1, 1939 the former St. Thomas Psychiatric Hospital opened its doors and was at its greatest capacity with over 2,400 patients. Even before construction was complete, the hospital was known as the finest mental health hospital in the country because of its modern design. The site included 460 acres of land for the facility’s food and produce needs.

The site was used as a training ground for the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War. Over sixty thousand British Commonwealth air force personnel along with volunteers were trained at the facility.

The provincial government reopened the hospital to patients in 1945 and by 1947 there were close to 1,100 patients

Last updated: Tue, 2017-01-17 15:07