- Neuroprotection and Oxidative Stress in Glaucoma
- Oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration
- A Novel Method of Protecting Human Corneal Epithelial Cells from Preservative Toxicity and Other Stressors
- Development of a Tissue Mimicking Phantom of the Eye as an Instructional Tool for Web-Based Learning
- Development of a Full-Field Electroretinopgraphy (ERG) Procedure for Assessment of Retinal Function in the Harlequin Mouse and Other Animal Models of Ocular disease Ocular Response to Biomechanical Trauma and Insult
- An Experimentally Validated Finite Element Model of Drug Delivery to Major Ocular Structures after Topical Administration
- The Effect of Corneal Ultrastructure on the Biomechanics of the Cornea
- Retrodisplacement of the Lamina Cribrosa During Elevated IOP: Measurement and Prediction
- Ocular diagnosis of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome using Tonometric Methods
- Optimization of Tonometric Assessment in the Management Of Glaucoma
- Excitotoxicity in Oxidative Stress Induced Retinal Degeneration: Mechanisms and Validation of a Potential Neuroprotective Agent
- Murine Modelling of Ocular Disease and Injury
- The effect of connexin43 on vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression and secretion in a human retinal pigment epithelial cell line
- Establishment of primary retinal explants and Tenon’s capsule fibroblasts
- Indocyanine Green versus Trypan Blue Toxicity in Intraocular Surgery
- Establishment of a Murine Primary Mixed Culture of Retinal Ganglion and Muller Glial Cells
- Photodynamic Treatment of Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Mitogen Activated Protein Kinases and Oxidative Stress in Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells
- The Effect of Oxidative Stress on Signal Transduction in Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells
- Gap Junctional Intracellular Communication Plays an Important Role in Protecting Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells from Oxidative Damage
- Comparison of the In Vitro Toxicity of Four Intraocular Dyes
- Protection of RPE Cells from Photooxidative Stress Using a Blue Light-Filtering Intraocular Lens
- Molecular Mechanisms of Oxidative Stress on Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells and Potential Mechanisms Of Rescue
- S-Nitrosoglutathione Photolysis as a Novel Therapy for Antifibrosis in Filtration Surgery
Investigator Initiated* Clinical Research - Active Projects
* This list does NOT include industry sponsored clinical trials research, the latter which is not listed due to confidentiality.
- Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty versus Argon Laser Trabeculoplasty in the Treatment of High Intraocular Pressures Associated with Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome
- Measurement of pre and post cataract surgery intra ocular pressure and anterior chamber angle using anterior segment optical coherence tomography (Visante)
- Development of a Prediction Rule for Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty for Open-Angle Glaucoma Management—what is the role of medication?
- Development and Validation of Personal Learning Project in Ophthalmology Education
Investigator Initiated Clinical Research - Completed Projects
- The Risky Business of Informed Consent in Cataract Surgery
- Management of Post-Cataract Inflammation—Who follows the EVS?
- Rural Ophthalmological Training
- Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty as a Primary Therapy in Glaucoma
- Cataract Surgical Waiting List Reduction through a Prioritization Model
- Risk of Retinal Detachment in Myopic Patients Post-Cataract Surgery
- Ocular Coherence Tomography and Anomalous Optic Discs
- Socioeconomic Influences in the Management of Diabetic Retinopathy
- Compliance in Glaucoma
- Retinal Thickness Analyzer and the Peripapillary Macula in Glaucoma
- The Diurnal Fluctuation of Central Corneal Thickness
- Optic Neuropathies that Masquerade as Normal Tension Glaucoma
- Development of a Prediction Rule for Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty for Open-Angle Glaucoma Management
- Assessment of Diabetic Macular Edema using a Scanning Laser Retinal Thickness Analyzer versus Conventional Intravenous Fluorescein Angiography
Industry Sponsored Clincial Research - Completed Projects*
*Active projects are not listed due to confidentiality clauses.
Merck Frosst - Principal Investigator
A 12 Week Multicenter, Open-Label, Observational Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Combination Therapy with Both Dorzolamide-timolol and latanoprost or in monotherapy with Dorzolamide-timolol to Reduce Intraocular Pressure in Patients With Open Angle Glaucoma
Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study of 3 Fixed Doses of EAA-090 in Adult Outpatients with Neuropathic Pain Associated with Diabetic Neuropathy
Pharmacia - Principal Investigator
The Efficacy and Safety of Latanoprost 0.005% (XalatanTM) Versus Timolol Maleate 0.5% gel forming solution (Timoptic XE) Each given once every evening in Primary Open Angle Glaucoma Or Ocular Hypertension
A Multicenter, Double-Masked, Randomized, 3-Arm Parallel Study, for 3 Months (With a 9-Month, Masked Extension) of the Safety and Efficacy of A Novel Combination Ophthalmic Solution Once Daily Compared with Monotherapy Once Daily in Patients with Glaucoma or Ocular Hypertension
Allergan - Subinvestigator
A Multi-Center, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Safety and Efficacy of 12 Weeks Treatment with Tazarotene 4.5 mg Capsules Once Daily Followed by a 12-Week Post-Treatment Follow-up Period in Patients with Moderate To Very Severe Plaque Psoriasis
Merck Frosst Canada & Company Industrial
An Open Label Observational Multicenter Program to Evaluate the Effectiveness of COSOPT in Patients with IOP Currently Uncontrolled with a Beta-Blocker and/or who are not Responsive to or not Satisfied with Their Current Treatment
2008 The Dr. Joseph Gilbert Research Contribution of the Year Award
“It is awarded to a Lawson Health Research Institute scientist who is a senior author on a stellar publication with high citations and high impact to health care research”.
2008 AMT-Coherent Award of the Canadian Ophthalmological Society (second place) for work on adjunctive use of dyes in vitreoretinal surgery (Supervision of resident winner: Dr. D. Yuen).
2008 Best Glaucoma Research Proposal Award in Canada for work on the development of a tissue mimicking phantom of the eye as an instructional tool (Supervision of resident winner: Dr. T. Chan).
2006 The Odyssey Award University of Windsor
“Recognizes alumni in the early stages of their career who have
distinguished themselves through career successes, notable achievements or through significant or innovative achievement in their professional or personal life”.
2006 “Best Paper of 2006” as peer-nominated/voted by the Canadian Glaucoma Society for work on selective laser trabeculoplasty as primary therapy in glaucoma (Supervision of resident winner: Dr. I McIlraith).
2005 “Best Paper of the Canadian Glaucoma Society”, The DRANCE Award, Canadian Ophthalmological Society Meeting for work on the use of Ocular Coherence Tomography and tilted optic discs (Supervision of resident winnder: Dr. C. Jackman).
2004 Won a Physicians’ Services Incorporated Award for work on oxidative stress as a factor in macular degeneration.
2004 AMT-Coherent Award of the Canadian Ophthalmological Society 2004 (first place) and the Canadian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery national competition 2004 (first place) for work on the use of a blue blocking lens in the rescue of blue-light stressed retinal pigment epithelial cells (Supervision of resident winner: Dr. A. Proulx).
2003 Won a Physicians’ Services Incorporated and Canadian Society For Clinical Investigation Award 2003 for the role of glutamate transport in excitotoxicity.
2002 Won a Physicians’ Services Incorporated Award 2002 for the role of neuroprotection in ocular ischemia.
2001 Won the AMT-Coherent Award of the Canadian Ophthalmological Society 2001 for the use of a nitrosoglutathione analogue in wound healing involving Tenon’s capsule fibroblasts (first place).