Since the pituitary gland can impact different parts of the body, specialists in various disciplines may be part of your care team. These specialists are members of London’s citywide, interdisciplinary Pituitary Group. Together, they collaborate on individualized treatment plans for each patient. The following are speciality areas involved in the care of patients with pituitary disease:
- Neuroendocrinology: The study of interactions between hormones and the brain.
- Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery: Diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the head and neck.
- Neuro-ophthalmology: Understanding the role of the eye and the brain and their interconnections in health and disease.
- Neuroradiology: Deals with the diagnosis and treatment of brain, spinal cord, head and neck, and vascular lesions using x-rays, magnetic fields, radio waves, and ultrasound.
- Neurosurgery: The medical specialty concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of disorders which affect any portion of the nervous system including the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and extra-cranial cerebrovascular system.
- Radiotherapy: Use of radiation, usually high energy x-rays) to treat disease.