St. Joseph's has unveiled a new Vision Statement that speaks to the very soul of who we are and the care we provide, and a new Patient and Resident Statement of Values that declares what you can expect of us when you come through our doors.
Upholding a legacy of care: introducing our new vision
As St. Joseph's undergoes unprecedented transformation in the next year, the opportunity for a new and exciting vision for the future has emerged.
In June 2011, St. Joseph's new Vision Statement was unveiled:
From the shortest visit to the longest stay,
we earn complete confidence in the care we provide,
and make a lasting difference in the quest to live fully.
President and CEO Dr. Gillian Kernaghan says that through our new Vision Statement, “we are reminded of the legacy of care that underpins all we do; that our core values are measured in the seemingly small, everyday interactions; that trust is fundamental in the care relationship; and that to trust, it is important to know what to expect and to have diverse voices heard.”
When you walk through the doors of any facility of St. Joseph’s Health Care London, how do you expect to be treated? What’s important to you when it comes to your care experience?
Recently, patients and residents of St. Joseph’s and their family members were asked those questions and their answers carried a lot of weight. In fact, they have shaped the Patient and Resident Statement of Values that declares what people can expect from the organization.
St. Joseph’s has always been committed to excellence as emphasized in its strategic plan and other guiding principles, but a patient statement of values is a new. In June 2010, The Excellent Care for All Act was passed by legislature to ensure health care providers continually improve patient care. Under this new legislation, all hospitals must have a patient statement of values that states what patients can expect from their health care organizations.
At St. Joseph’s, this statement is a summary of values identified by listening to patient and family councils, patient focus groups and opinions expressed in a web-based survey. “When you walk through our doors we want you to know we value you as an individual and we hope our care surpasses your expectations,” says president and CEO Dr. Gillian Kernaghan.
St. Joseph’s Patient and Resident Statement of Values
- for my privacy
- that I am part of my own care team along with the family support I see fit
- for my time – waiting for appointments; waiting for call bells to be answered; not rushing my time with the doctor and team; receiving results in a timely way
Compassionate, Caring People
- who demonstrate genuine caring, recognizing that I am a person, not a diagnosis, case or number
- who work as well-coordinated teams
- with my best interests at the heart of all they do
Quality, Safe Care
- provided by highly qualified staff supported by the best technology
- with the capacity to be flexible and act quickly when needed
- and the information I need before, during and after my visit or stay
- continuity across St. Joseph’s teams and the health care system