DocTalks community lecture series returns in 2019 with an impressive lineup
Back by popular demand, the DocTalks program hopes to build on its inaugural success with six new talks scheduled for 2019. The lectures are a way for the public to learn valuable health information directly from physicians and researchers. Collectively, more than 800 people attended the 2018 lectures, with registration for most of the talks reaching capacity weeks in advance.
“From the moment registration opened for the first lecture in January of 2018, we were blown away with how well it was received by the community,” says Michelle Campbell, President and CEO of St. Joseph’s Health Care Foundation. “These lectures create an opportunity for experts within our organization to talk about some of the truly incredible things happening in health care right here in London.”
Through these free presentations, attendees learn from the experts how St. Joseph’s is tackling the pressing health issues of our time, including the latest treatment options available and new research findings on an array of topics. Here’s a quick summary of what we learned from presenters in 2018:
- Dr. Gregor Reid shared how probiotics research is opening up a new paradigm of thinking about the microbial world we live in
- Dr. Muriel Brackstone explained how new surgical techniques are improving breast reconstruction options
- Dr. Sandra Northcott provided practical advice about how to talk to those who may be at risk of suicide
- Dr. Michael Borrie explained how to maintain memory and independence as we age
- Dr. Brian Rotenberg shared how surgery is a promising alternative to CPAP therapy as a treatment for sleep apnea
- Dr. Gerald Brock explained why erectile dysfunction may be a leading indicator of cardiovascular disease in men
Here’s a sneak peek of the 2019 DocTalks lineup:
- March 2019: Dr. John Denstedt will share the latest treatment information about kidney stones
- May 2019: Dr. Bob Teasell will talk about rehabilitation and recovery after stroke
- July 2019: Dr. Harold Kim will share how food allergies can be treated through immunotherapy
- September 2019: Dr. Tim Doherty will share the best ways to maintain our muscle strength and mobility as we age
- November 2019: Dr. Rookya Mather will discuss how Dry Eye Disease can be managed effectively
Attendance is free but advance registration is required.
Subscribe to the Foundation’s email list to receive a notification when registration for each DocTalk lecture opens, and to stay current with the latest news and other events happening at St. Joseph's Foundation.
You can access full video for each of the presentations from 2018 in our DocTalks archive.
DocTalks is a joint initiative presented by St. Joseph's Health Care London and St. Joseph's Health Care Foundation.