Preserving Our Sacred Space: a special Mass marks the closing of St. Joseph's Hospital's Chapel until 2015, as it is carefully preserved during construction
Video of the special closing Mass
(play the video above, or click here to view)
Many familiar faces filled the St. Joseph’s Hospital Chapel on Sept. 5, 2012 when a standing-room only crowd gathered for a special Roman Catholic Mass – the last before the historic chapel closed for safekeeping during construction.
Among those in attendance were several Sisters of St. Joseph, current and retired staff, members of the community and London’s Mayor, Joe Fontana. They came to hear Bishop Ronald Fabbro, assisted by Dr. John Vallely, a former St. Joseph’s urologist now a deacon, and to honour the sacred place that is the heart of St. Joseph’s Health Care London. Others taking part in the service were Dr. Gillian Kernaghan, Margaret McLaughlin, St. Joseph’s board member and Sister Eileen Foran CSJ, former Eucharistic minister at St. Joseph's Hospital.
Preservation was the underlying theme of the touching event, both the preservation of the chapel built in 1915, and the preservation of St. Joseph’s legacy of providing the London community with compassionate care. The chapel closed its doors on Sept. 20 and will reopen in 2015.
After the Mass, a reception was held in the Livingston Lounge where displays featured artifacts from the very beginning days of the hospital, such as surgical tools, ceramic and glass receptacles, nursing capes and pins, as well as photographs of the original hospital and throughout the years of expansion.
Photos of the special closing Mass
(view the photos above, or click here to view full-screen)
During the construction, a temporary Chapel is being fitted in the atrium off of the Grosvenor Café in Zone B, Level 0 (get directions). The Chapel will have its first Mass on Wednesday, Oct. 3.
For more information, please call St. Joseph’s Spiritual Care at 519 646-6100 ext. 66029