Patient and General Information/Education Sites
- WAPD - World Association of Persons with disAbilities, based in Oklahoma, USA
Spinal Cord Injury Organizations (i.e., Funding Agencies, Prevention Groups, Support Groups)
- Christopher Reeve Paralysis Association
- American Spinal Injury Association
- Canadian Spinal Research Organization
- National Spinal Cord Injury Association: Spinalcord.org - (U.S.A.)
- Think First - Prevention program developed by the American Association Of Neurological Surgeons with active programs in the United States, Canada, Chile and Mexico.
Spinal Cord Injury Research
- Cleveland FES Center - A research consortium in Functional Electrical Stimulation focusing on the development of advanced techniques to restore function for persons with paralysis.
- Head, Spinal Cord Injuries & Stroke - General information for the lay person about different aspects of research in Spinal Cord Injury (as well as head injuries and stroke). This information is derived from the U.S. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) so it tends to involve research they have funded.
- Miami Project to Cure Paralysis - The world's largest, most comprehensive research center dedicated to finding more effective treatments and, ultimately, a cure for paralysis that results from spinal cord injury.
- Midwest Regional Spinal Cord Injury Care System - Abstracts outlining the various research projects conducted by the MRSCICS in Chicago.
- NYU Spinal Cord Injury Center - Brief overview of the various research projects carried out at the NYU Spinal Cord Injury Center.
- Spinal Cord Research Centre - University of Manitoba, Canada
Other Health Providers
- Craig Hospital - Spinal Cord Injury and TBI - Information on treatment programs, research, threapeutic recreation, etc. based in Colorado, USA.
- Midwest Regional Spinal Cord Injury Care System - Chicago, Illinois, USA
Resource Guides and Lists of Links
- Spinal Cord Injury Resources - A list of resources (i.e. treatment centres, bulletin boards, chat boards, magazines, books, email list groups, etc.) dealing with spinal cord injury.
- Disabled Sports USA.
- GPK - Physical therapy, vocational, recreational, and rehabilitation products for Quadriplegics in California, USA.
- National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA) - USA.
- Quad Rugby - United States Quad Rugby Association - Strives to provide all of the Latest and Greatest Quad Rugby News & Information.
- Sports and Outdoor Assistive Recreation - The National Spinal Cord Injury Association
Exercise equipment for people with C4-C5 and below spinal cord injuries
- Wheelchair Racing
- World Team Sports - Charlotte, NC, USA.
- World Wheelchair Sports - Non-profit amateur athletic organization in Oregon, USA.
- Center for Universal Design @ North Carolina State University - A national research, information, and technical assistance center that evaluates, develops, and promotes accessible and universal design in buildings and related products.
- Canadian Council on Rehab & Work - Aims to promote and support equal and equitable employment of job seekers with disabilities through a network of organizations and individuals across Canada.
- Network for Entrepreneurs with Disabilities - Includes links to some really good resources on the internet and is ideally suited for small and/or home-based businesses, those considering entrepreneurship and especially persons with disabilities involved in or interested in entrepreneurship.
- Human Resources Development Canada - Provides information on the wide range of Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) programs and services. Of particular interest on this site is a document outlining the Multilateral Framework on Employability Assistance for People with Disabilities which is a new initiative calling for the replacement of the Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons (VRDP) program. Under this new program the Government of Canada would share with the provinces and territories costs of initiatives with a focus on employment and labour market interventions for people with disabilities.
- Neil Squire Foundation - "Promoting equity for people with disabilities". Contains details about their innovative services for people with disabilities, including Consultation & Assessment Services, Creative Employment Options, Computer Comfort, and Literacy programs in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and New Brunswick.
General Rehabilitation Resources
- ABLEDATA - Database of rehabilitation products and companies.
- The Integrated Network of Disability Information and Education - Their mission is to be the world's most comprehensive one-stop resource for products, services, and information for theworld-wide disability community.
- Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation - The most widely used system in the world for documenting the severity of patient disability and the outcomes of medical rehabilitation.
- Abilities - A Canadian based magazine for people with disablitlies, published quarterly.
- New Mobility - An Interactive Cafe - web community for disability news, resources, chat rooms, job line, bookstore and culture (USA based).
- Paralinks - An online magazine for people with disabilities.
- WE Magazine - An American magazine for people with disabilities.
(St. Joseph's Health Care London does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.)