Veterans Care: Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for admission to Veterans Care at Parkwood Institute?
Veterans and members of certain civilian groups who have overseas service in one of the following: World War II, the Korean War, or received a Veteran’s Affairs Pension for an illness or injury incurred during  World War II, or the Korean War.  Certain types of wartime service in the coastal areas of Canada and Newfoundland qualify as overseas service.

The Veteran’s service records are not available, so how do I establish if the Veteran meets the service eligibility requirements?
Contact Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) at 1-866-522-2122 (English) or 1-877-678-4711 (French) for assistance.

How do I apply for admission to Veterans Care at Parkwood Institute?
Applications for long term and short-term (Respite) admissions are received from and submitted to the Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) at 519-473-2222.

What type of care is provided?
Veterans Care at Parkwood Institute provides long term care, formerly known as nursing home care, and complex continuing care.  Veterans that meet the service eligibility requirements and require a nursing home/long term level of care are also eligible for respite admissions.

Veterans admitted to Veterans Care at Parkwood Institute will also receive a Veterans Affairs Canada health care card that provides certain extended health care benefits.

Is it possible for my non-Veteran spouse or common-law partner to join me in the Veterans Care section at Parkwood Institute?
No.  Only Veterans can be admitted to a Veterans Care bed at Parkwood Institute.

What is the cost of a Veterans Care bed at Parkwood Institute?
Monthly charges for board and lodging are determined by Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC).  There is an Income Protection provision for Veterans with dependents. The amount payable is calculated based on family income and income tax returns and may be less than the monthly maximum.

If it is established by VAC that admission is required as a result of a pensioned war related illness or injury, there is no cost to the Veteran.

What is included in the board and lodging costs?
Board and lodging costs include accommodation, all meals, medications, medical supplies, nursing care, specialized therapy (as determined by assessed care needs), laundry services and a wide variety of leisure opportunities.

The following services are available but are not included in the board and lodging costs: dry cleaning, pub, haircuts, in-room television service, bedside telephone service, in-room fridges, personal internet service, General Store purchases, etc.

Will I be required to give up my right to my Veteran Affairs pension, other pensions, or any other income or assets that I hold, if I accept a Veterans Care bed at Parkwood Institute?

Will my spouse still receive services from the Veterans Independence Program (VIP) if I accept a Veterans Care bed at Parkwood Institute?

How are rooms assigned?
When it is time to be admitted you will be assigned to a specific room.  Your room assignment may be changed to best meet your needs or the needs of other residents in the area.  Any room changes will be discussed with you.

Most residents are accommodated with roommates in standard four-bed rooms that allow for both private and shared use of space. Some programs also have two-bed and single bed rooms that are assigned on the basis of availability and need.

Is it possible to pay an additional fee for a private or semi-private room?
No.  Rooms are assigned on the basis of health need.  There is no opportunity to purchase preferred accommodation such as a semi-private or private room.

How long is the waiting list?
The length of wait depends upon many conditions including the number of applications, and bed availability at the time of application.

Will I have a physician?
Medical care is provided by a group of family physicians from London.  Each Veteran is assigned a physician upon admission.  The physician is on site at regularly scheduled times weekly and is available for consultation with the care team as needed.

Am I able to leave the unit or the facility?
Veterans in our facility, whose health permits, will often spend time away from the unit or facility independently or with family and friends. We ask them to please notify nursing staff on their unit before leaving.  Staff will assist in planning for overnight or longer leaves of absence if appropriate.  A physician’s order is required for leaves away from the facility.

Can I smoke at Parkwood Institute?
Smoking is permitted by veterans in the controlled indoor smoking area located in the Iron Duke Pub in the Western Counties Wing.

Where do I eat my meals?
Residents in the Western Counties Wing eat meals together in the bright, spacious dining rooms on each unit. Seating allows for socialization or simply companionship during mealtimes. Food choices are made at the time of meal service. Residents on units within the Main Building make their food choices in advance and meals are provided by tray service. Residents in the Main Building may choose to eat together in a comfortable dining room or can have their meals in their own room. Residents are also offered snacks during the day.

How do I arrange for a tour of the Veterans Care program at Parkwood Institute?
Contact Parkwood Institute at 519 685-4053.

Veterans care resident

Last updated: Wed, 2014-12-24 14:29