History: Parkwood Hospital

A Proud Legacy

The Women's Christian Association, established in 1874 for "the distribution of charity, and the care of the poor and the sick," founded what was to become Parkwood Hospital 20 years later, in 1894. The Home for Incurables operated first on Hamilton Road, and later moved to Dundas Street and was renamed the Victoria Home for Incurables. In 1921, the home moved to the Grand Avenue location, and came to be known as Parkwood Hospital for Incurables in 1927.

A New Parkwood

The hospital moved to its current Westminster Campus site in 1985. It was built at a cost of $45 million. On July 7, 1989, the Western Counties Wing, linked to Parkwood by the Arthur J. Hobbins building, was officially opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Parkwood has grown to become one of the largest specialized chronic care hospitals in Ontario, serving London, Southwestern Ontario and th veterans of Canada through inpatient, outpatient and outreach programs.

Parkwood Hospital

Historical Timeline

1894
Parkwood's forerunner, the Home for Incurables, was established by the Women's Christian Association.

1967
Official opening of McCormick Home.

1979
London's first Day Hospital officially opened at Parkwood.

1980
Parkwood Hospital assumes responsibility for care of veterans.

1982
Palliative Care Unit officially opens.

1984
New Parkwood Hospital opened at present-day site.

1986
Regional Rehabilitation Program begins.

1989
Official opening of the new Western Counties Wing by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

1991
Region's first Brain Injury Outreach Program begins and the Research Department is established.

1992
Regional Geriatric Program opens.

1996
Stroke and Musculoskeletal (hip fracture rehabilitation) Programs established.

1997
Transfer of governance of Parkwood Hospital to St. Joseph's Health Care London.

Last updated: Fri, 2010-12-10 15:06