The Early Years, 1888 to the 1920s
1888 - St. Joseph's Hospital was established
From the founding of Mount Hope in 1869, the Sisters fought tirelessly to provide a safe refuge, caring for the sick, poor and otherwise helpless in the community. The community and the government were impressed with the compassion and efficiency of the Sisters in running Mount Hope and encouraged them to undertake hospital work.
The Sisters purchased a house on the northeast corner of Richmond and Grosvenor Streets and the long history of St. Joseph's remarkable health care began.
The hospital officially opened on October 15, 1888, operated by three Sisters, Mother Aloysia Nigh, Superior, Sister Martha Toohey and Sister Herman Murphy. The first patient was admitted the following day. The hospital had ten beds, with room for 14 more, which were to be tended to by four medical staff members, Dr. John Wishart, Dr. James Macarthur, Dr. William E. Waugh and Dr. William Woodruff.
1892 - A new hospital facility opened
Just four years after the hospital was founded, a new facility opened its doors on October 15, 1892. Built adjacent to the small house on the corner, the new building was three and a half storeys with 60 beds and one operating room. It remains today as the core of the west portion of the hospital.
- the population of London in 1888 was 35,000
- average length of stay in St. Joseph's in 1892 was 34 days.
- average daily cost per patient was 25.87 cents
- the hospital admitted 339 patients in 1893
- by 1902, the number of patients admitted rose to 573
- the first recorded birth in St. Joe's was on October 5, 1901
1901- St. Joseph's School of Nursing established
From the beginning of St. Joseph's Hospital, nursing care was provided by the Sisters and the lay staff hired to assist them. With the developments in medical science, the need to train hospital workers in the care of the sick became very evident. In 1901, St. Joseph's Hospital Training School for Nurses was formally established.
1903 - The first major expansion
A new three-storey addition to the hospital was built to the east, expanding its capacity to 80 beds and nursing staff to 30. The official opening of the new wing was held on May 12, 1903 and its additional space was certainly needed. In the 1903-1904 fiscal year, the hospital admitted 850 patients, a substantial increase from the 532 patients admitted the previous year.
1915 - A new addition was completed
A three-storey wing with a basement was built adjoining the main building, extending south along Richmond Street towards Grosvenor. The Richmond wing provided 12 private rooms on each of the three levels, as well as incorporating service rooms, a library and lecture rooms for the nursing students. A new chapel was built at the same time, which remains today as a historical treasure on the second floor of the Richmond Street wing.
1916 - X-Rays were first used at St. Joseph's
With x-ray technology gradually being accepted as an accurate diagnostic tool, St. Joseph's opened its first Department of Radiology.
1922 - Organization of the medical staff
Eight doctors were formally appointed to specific offices and specialties within the hospital, including Surgery, Gynaecology, Medicine, Obstetrics, Anaesthesia, Paediatrics and Ophthalmology.
1927 - Nurses' Residence opened
A four-storey structure was built at Richmond and Louisa (now Cromwell) Streets for the nursing school. About 200 students lived in the building, attending classes in the new wing's lecture rooms and learning on-the-job in the hospital attached. The Nurses' Residence remains today, housing the "900 Richmond Lounge," meeting rooms, the Carr Hearing Centre, Gastroenterology clinic and other services.
1928 - Outpatient department established
An outpatient department was established on the recommendation of the medical staff, including Medical, Surgical, Paediatric, Obstetrics, Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat and Gynaecology Clinics. A Physiotherapy Department for both inpatients and outpatients was also established at the time.
Expansion and Growth, 1930 to the 1950s
1931 - East Wing addition
A three-storey wing, similar to the 1915 addition, was built to the east of the 1903 building. It contained an additional 100 patient beds, expanded operating room facilities, a new laboratory and a new labour and delivery area. A new kitchen and dining room area was built in the basement to accommodate the increase in staff. This area remains today as the staff cafeteria and food services area.
The 1930s and 1940s
The next two decades saw the further development of the excellence and expertise of the medical staff, a substantial increase in the number of staff and, of course, a major increase in the number of patients being treated at the hospital. St. Joe's had grown to become a major referral centre for Southwestern Ontario and, in 1947, signed a formal agreement with the University of Western Ontario, officially recognizing St. Joe's long-standing relationship with the university as a teaching hospital.
1948 - Diamond Jubilee, St. Joe's 60th anniversary
By 1948, the hospital had expanded through five major additions and had grown to accommodate 300 patients. About 330 staff members were employed at St. Joe's, including 27 Sisters. In 1951, an Advisory Board, comprised of lay members of the community, was set up to act in an advisory capacity to the administration of St. Joseph's - a predecessor to today's Board of Directors.
1954 - Two new wings completed
By the early 1950s, the population of the City of London had grown substantially, led by the industrial development after World War II. St. Joseph's had become not only a busy community hospital, but a district hospital, accepting referrals from physicians and smaller hospital centres, as well as a regional hospital, renowned for its expertise and accepting referrals from across the province. Motivated by these factors, St. Joseph's undertook the largest expansion of the hospital's long history, building two new wings at the same time.
The Marian Wing was built to the east of the East Wing addition of 1931 while an Administrative Wing was added mid-way between the East and West Wings. The five-storey Marian Wing included a new 36-bed Psychiatric Department, expanded maternity and nursery facilities, a floor dedicated to surgical patients and living quarters for 22 Sisters. It was partially remodelled in 1964 and is now an extension of the main hallway, leading to the wing which runs along Wellington St.
The Administrative Wing included space for the Emergency Department, which had been established in 1951, clinic and teaching facilities for outpatients, administrative facilities, a central Admitting Department and more patient rooms. The main visitor's entrance off of Grosvenor Street now takes you through the Administrative Wing to the main part of the hospital. The two new additions increased the bed capacity of St. Joseph's to 500 patients.
The late 1950s
Additions and renovations continued over the next few years. By converting the attic space, a fourth floor was added to the main portion of the building in 1955. A North-East Wing was also added in 1956, extending east along Cromwell Street.
Despite these expansion efforts, by 1958, just four years after the hospital's largest expansion, the hospital was operating over capacity and another expansion was needed. In 1959, the St. Joseph's Hospital Building Fund Campaign began, the first fundraising campaign the Sisters had ever undertaken to solicit financial support. Due to a generous response from the community, construction on the Wellington Wing, which runs along Wellington Street and currently contains the Emergency Department, began in 1962.
Building a Modern Health Centre, 1960-1985
1964 - the Wellington Wing opened
The Wellington Wing, along with an addition of the fourth and fifth floors extending over top of the East Wing, expanded the hospital's patient capacity to 605. With the new wing came a new, large Outpatient Department, a new Emergency Department, new surgical suite, an intensive care unit, and significantly enlarged Radiology and Psychiatry Departments.
1967 - St. Joseph's internationally-renowned Neonatal Intensive Care Unit opened
1969 - St. Joseph's Family Medical Centre opened
The Family Medical Centre provided services to thousands of people in the community over the years and continues to serve the community well. It is also an outstanding teaching facility affiliated with the University of Western Ontario's highly-regarded Department of Family Medicine. It was originally located at 362 Oxford Street East.
1970 - management of St. Joseph's School of Nursing was transferred to Fanshawe College, in conjunction with similar transfers to community colleges across the province. The school continued to operate on the St. Joseph's campus site.
1971 - Surgical Day Care Unit opened
With changing technology and medical advances, surgery done on an outpatient basis had become widely accepted, with the volume of patients consistently growing.
1973 - St. Joseph's Detoxification Centre opened
The aim of this centre, originally located at 331 Dufferin Street and directed by Sister St. Patrick Joyce, was to "keep persons who were continually being arrested for drunkenness out of jails," by admitting them to rehabilitation centres. It is now located at 471 William Street.
1977 - Nursing school closed
St. Joseph's nursing residence and campus (operated by Fanshawe College) closed, ending a 76-year tradition of excellence.
1981 - Grosvenor expansion
Placed between the East Wing (now sections B and C of the hospital) and Wellington Wing (sections A and D), the Grosvenor facility expansion provided room for a large Central Admitting Department, Laboratory Test Centre and twenty new rooms for medical clinics. A new Coronary Care Unit and enlarged Surgical Day Care Unit were also established with the expansion.
1982 - A Canadian first
Researchers at St. Joseph's were the first to show that nuclear magnetic imaging could distinguish diseased tissue from normal tissue. In 1982, they were the first in Canada to achieve a human image using Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
The Lawson Health Research Institute
1983 - St. Joseph's Hospital Research Institute established
(later renamed Lawson Health Research Institute)
As a teaching hospital, St. Joseph's has a mandate to provide high quality patient care, teach medical students, interns and residents and conduct research. Lack of facilities and space to support St. Joseph's research commitment was a concern as early as the 1960s. In 1976, a task force set up by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Colleges and Universities found a critical need for research facilities at St. Joseph's.
Over the next few years, St. Joseph's raised more than $12 million through various provincial grants, the Sisters of St. Joseph, the University of Western Ontario and St. Joseph's Hospital Foundation. The money was used to build the impressive research facility and furnish it with equipment, including a new nuclear magnetic resonance (now called Magnetic Resonance Imaging or MRI) facility.
Within three and a half years of opening, the Research Institute changed the profile of St. Joseph's Health Care London across the city, university and nation. The institute and the health centre were soon internationally-renowned as a major clinical research centre. It was renamed the LawsonHealth Research Institute, in honour of Colonel Thomas Lawson, in 1987.
1983 - the boards and administration of Marian Villa and St. Mary's Hospital merged, in preparation for an amalgamation with St. Joseph's Hospital.
1984 - St. Joe's became the first hospital in Canada to clinically operate a Magnetic Resonance Imager (MRI).
World-class Facilities, 1985-1997
1985 - Amalgamation
The boards of St. Joseph's Hospital and Marian Villa/St. Mary's Hospital merged to form St. Joseph's Health Centre, placing the full continuum of care under one management.
1985 - the new Family Medical Centre opened
The Family Medical Centre was relocated to a specially-designed facility on Platt's Lane in the Cherryhill community, where it remains today.
1985 - planning began to build a new long-term care facility
Representatives from residents, family members, community associations, medical, support, administrative and planning staff, the Thames Valley District Health Council and the Ministry of Health began meeting to identify long-term care residential care and community outreach needs.
1989/90 - the HIV Care Programme was established
One of seven designated HIV clinics across Ontario, the HIV Care Programme serves HIV-positive and AIDS patients from London and the surrounding region. The clinic works closely with physicians and medical centres across the city, as well as other AIDS-related agencies in the area, to bring the best possible medical, emotional and psychological care to its clients.
1990 - Renal Lithotripsy Unit opened
St. Joseph's became the second facility in Ontario to operate a renal lithotripsy unit. A lithotriptor is a non-invasive device which uses shock waves to crush kidney stones. St. Joe's lithotripsy unit is now one of the busiest in the world.
1992 - Hand and Upper Limb Centre opened
St. Joseph's Hand and Upper Limb Centre was established, providing care to patients with conditions of the upper limb. It was the first Canadian centre to offer endoscopic surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome, which is done using a fibre optic camera inserted into the carpal tunnel through a very small incision.
1993 - opening of the Geriatric Assessment Unit
Part of the Regional Geriatric Program, the unit is for those elderly who, for no obvious reason, lose their ability to function or thrive. These patients are brought to the unit for assessment and short-term treatment. The team works closely with each patient and their family to determine what can be done to bolster the patient's independence and improve their quality of life.
1995 - opening of the underground tunnel connecting St. Joseph's with St. Mary's Hospital, Marian Villa and the parking garage.
1995 - opening of the Monsignor Roney Ambulatory Care Centre
This new ambulatory care centre, home to the Women's Health Centre and the internationally-renowned Hand and Upper Limb Centre, was established in 1995.
May 1995 - Groundbreaking - construction of the new St. Mary's facility began
May 1997 - New St. Mary's complete
Mount Hope Centre for Long Term Care officially opened
The new St. Mary's is a state-of-the-art 177-bed facility designed to enhance resident independence, personal choice and wellness. With Marian Villa and the former St. Mary's Hospital, it forms the new Mount Hope Centre for Long Term Care - not just a facility but a resource to the community, offering services such as rehabilitation, residential care, supportive housing and ambulatory programs.
Looking Ahead, 1997 and BEYOND
1997 - A new role
Upon the recommendations of the provincial Health Services Restructuring Commission, St. Joseph's Health Care London has begun working towards a new role in serving the health care needs of our community and surrounding region for the next millennium.
In December 1997, St. Joseph's Health Centre integrated Parkwood Hospital into its umbrella of facilities and partnerships. In 2001, management and governance of the London/St. Thomas Psychiatric Hospitals were also transferred to St. Joseph's, forming St. Joseph's Health Care London as we know it today, and combining a history of more than 200 years of excellence in health care.