Colposcopy - What To Expect
During your procedure:
- You will need to remove your clothing from the waist down and lie down on a raised bed.
- The exam takes about 10 minutes.
- The doctor will place a speculum in your vagina and look at your cervix using the colposcope. The colposcope does not touch you or enter your body. Your Pap test may be repeated. A vinegar solution is sprayed onto the cervix that causes any abnormal cells to briefly turn from pink to white. From these white areas the doctor may take small samples (biopsies). You may feel menstrual cramps at the time of biopsy
- It is very important that you return to the Colposcopy Clinic every six months until you have two normal Pap tests
- You need to book your follow-up visit before you leave the clinic
- The Pap test and biopsy results take about four to six weeks to return from the lab
- The doctor’s office will call you to change your follow-up visit if the doctor needs to discuss the results or provide treatment