Heart Failure Clinic
The Heart Failure Clinic located at St. Joseph’s Hospital is a specialized outpatient cardiac clinic for the care of patients with symptomatic heart failure experiencing more severe symptoms.
The Heart Failure Clinic is a multidisciplinary nurse-led clinic run by nurse practitioners and registered nurses with advanced training in caring for patients with heart failure. The goal of the clinic is to provide evidence-based care to optimize quality of life, improve symptom management and prevent heart failure-related emergency department visits and hospital admissions.
The Heart Failure Clinic provides:
- Assessment by a registered nurse, nurse practitioner or physician
- Evaluation to determine the cause of heart failure and monitoring of the condition
- Education to help patients understand heart failure
- Self-monitoring strategies to reduce the risk of symptoms reoccurring
- Prescription of evidence-based medications and optimization of these therapies
- As required, assessment by a social worker or dietitian
How to access the clinic
Patients are seen by referral. Referrals must meet referral criteria and be completed by a physician or nurse practitioner. To refer a patient for the Heart Failure Clinic, complete the referral form and fax to 519 646-6219.