Inpatient Diabetes Education
City-wide diabetes nurse educator
The city-wide diabetes nurse educator will travel to and support all sites associated with St. Joseph's Health Care London and London Health Sciences Centre.
Contact Number: 519 658-8500 ext. 35142
or pager 519 685-8500 ext. 16312
Citywide hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 13:00 – 16:30
(Excludes stat holidays)
Home base is the Diabetes Education Centre at St Joseph’s Health Care London.
Contact number: 519 661-1600
Fax: 519 661-1634
Reasons for referral
- Patients with newly diagnosed type 1 or type 2 diabetes:
Teach survival skills: e.g., meter education, acceptable glucose values, insulin initiation, prevention and treatment of hypoglycemia
- Patients with established diabetes:
Assist with acute care needs: e.g., insulin initiation and other changes in medication regimens, education surrounding admissions for ketoacidosis
- Assessment of follow-up options:
- Act as liaison for the Diabetes Education Centre
- Collaborate with dietitian, CCAC, social work and physician etc.
- Provide contact information and facilitate referral process for out of town diabetes educators and education centers (provincially, nationally)
The city-wide diabetes nurse educator is also responsible for:
- Providing inservices on topics pertinent to nursing units as requested: e.g., diabetes overview, diabetes and kidney disease, new insulin analogues and insulin adjustments, clinical practice guidelines, pens, meters etc.
- Orchestrating survival skill teaching by staff nurses for inpatients as indicated: e.g., diabetes binder on each unit with educational material to assist staff with after hours or weekend needs on unit
- Developing partnerships with other hospital programs: e.g., LHSC Renal Care Program.