Breast Care Program - Services
Breast imaging services
Breast imaging is a key component of the assessment (diagnostic) services in St. Joseph's Breast Care Program. Known for its compassionate care and state-of-the-art technology, St. Joseph’s is a leader in breast imaging offering the full complement of diagnostic care for breast patients. We are the only hospital in the region offering MRI-guided breast biopsies.
Imaging services include:
- Mammography-guided (stereotactic) core biopsies
- Galactography, a medical diagnostic procedure for viewing the milk ducts used for investigating the pathology of nipple discharge
- Pre-operative localizations
- Ultrasound-guided biopsies
- Ultrasound breast imaging
- MRI breast imaging
- Scintimammography, nuclear medicine breast imaging
- A "second opinion service"
Breast surgery services
- Aspiration, a procedure in which a small amount of breast tissue or fluid is taken from the suspicious area and is checked for cancer cells.
- Breast biopsy
- Lumpectomy, surgery in which only the tumor and some surrounding tissue is remove
- Mastectomy, surgery to remove all breast tissue from a breast as a way to treat or prevent breast cancer.
- Breast reconstruction surgery to make the breast look and feel as natural as possible after all or part of it has been removed.
- Education and support
Please note: Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are performed at the London Regional Cancer Program of London Health Sciences Centre. Patients requiring chemo and radiation will be referred from St. Joseph’s to the cancer program.
For information on cancer treatment, supportive care complementary therapies, lodging for out-of-town patients and much more, visit the London Regional Cancer Program website.
- Innovation Matters Here.
We strive for the best care through knowledge.