Awards and Recognition
Recognizing the Best of the Best
St. Joseph's Health Care London (St. Joseph’s) is proud of its outstanding staff, physicians, volunteers and community partners. It is through their belief in the values of respect, excellence and compassion that we provide the care, treatment and discovery for which St. Joseph's is recognized.
Every year, various awards are presented across St. Joseph’s to honour truly special members of our team — those who give their very best for others and who take St. Joseph's legacy to ever greater heights.
Learn about St. Joseph's awards below.
Excellence in Nursing Awards and Bursaries
The Excellence in Nursing Awards and Bursaries are one of the ways that nurses at St. Joseph's Health Care London are recognized for the work they do. These awards are peer nominated and open to all nurses working in any capacity St. Joseph’s.
There are four categories for Excellence in Nursing:
Excellence in Direct Care
Excellence in Leadership, Coaching and Mentorship
Excellence in Innovation and Evidence-based practice
- Excellence in Teaching and Coaching
Each award is bestowed under our three primary care areas:
- Mental Health - for nursing staff who work at or are affiliated with Parkwood Institute Mental Health Care Building and Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care
- Rehabilitation, Complex and Long Term Care - for nursing staff who work at or are affiliated with Parkwood Institute Main Building or Mount Hope Centre for Long Term Care
- Acute Ambulatory Care - for nursing staff who work at or are affiliated with St. Joseph’s Hospital
Established in 2009, the President’s Awards recognize leaders, both formal and informal, who have made outstanding contributions to the mission, culture and performance of St. Joseph’s.
- Aspiring Leader Award
- Community Partner of Distinction Award
- Community Volunteerism Award
- Kathy Burrill Leadership in Mission Award
- Sandra Letton Quality Award
Aspiring Leader Award
The Aspiring Leader Award is designed to recognize an individual who has shown significant skill development, has recently risen to the challenges of a leadership role or activity, and has demonstrated outstanding leadership qualities and contributions to the organization. Already a well-respected team player, the recipient demonstrates effective leadership and performance in service delivery and relationship building.
Past Aspiring Leader recipients
- 2019 winner: Jacobi Elliott
- 2018 winner: Dr. Maya Roth
- 2017 winner: Erin Watson
- 2014 winner: Regina Clara
- 2013 winner: Colleen Hardy
- 2012 winner: Krista Harloff
- 2011 winner: Alison Evans
- 2010 winner: Brent Peltola
Community Partner of Distinction Award
The Community Partner of Distinction Award is one of the President’s Awards for St. Joseph’s Health Care London. It recognizes partnership and collaboration - essential requirements of health care delivery and community service. In appreciation of other organizations who demonstrate their commitment to close collaboration through formal or informal partnerships, the Partner of Distinction Award is presented each year to a team or organization that has shown significant support of St. Joseph’s mission and/or the advancement of the health care system in collaboration with others.
Past Community Partner of Distinction Award recipients
- 2019: Indwell, a Christian charity that creates affordable housing communities to support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
- 2018: Middlesex-London Health Unit's Outreach Team
- 2015: Ontario Provincial Police Elgin Detachment
- 2014: Operational Stress Injury Social Support (OSISS) program
- 2013: Dale Brain Injury Services
- 2012: London-Middlesex CMHA
- 2011: SouthWest Community Care Access Centre
- 2010: London Police Service
Community Volunteerism Award
The Community Volunteerism Award award recognizes a St. Joseph’s volunteer, staff or physician who sets the standard for outstanding service to their communities. Established in 2019, in recognition of the organization’s 150th anniversary, this recently established award honours an individual who has made a significant impact in our community and through their volunteer achievements and contribution.
Past Community Volunteerism Award recipients
- 2019: Amy Joy Harrison
The Kathy Burrill Leadership in Mission Award
The Kathy Burrill Leadership in Mission Award recognizes a St. Joseph’s leader or volunteer who has made an outstanding contribution to the hospital’s mission. Given each year, the award celebrates extraordinary efforts to exemplify and advance St. Joseph’s roles and values as a Catholic, academic and community-oriented health care provider. This leader is an effective change agent and a forward-thinker – the type of leader others want to follow or work with in partnership. At the same time, they lead in keeping with the example of our founders, upholding our rich history and traditions.
Past Kathy Burrill Leadership in Mission recipients
- 2019: No award presented this year
- 2018 winner: Dr. McNair
- 2017 winner: Julie Gagliardi
- 2016 winner: Dr. John Denstedt
- 2014 winner: Dr. Michael Milo and Dr. Bill Payne
- 2013 winner: Dr. Mohan Merchea
- 2012 winner: Deb Miller
- 2011 winner: Dr. Don Gutoski
- 2010 winner: Dr. Don Taves
Sandra Letton Quality Award
Launched in 2011, the Sandra Letton Quality Award is named in honour of former St. Joseph's Vice President and Chief Nursing Executive Sandra Letton. Sandra dedicated more than 25 years at St. Joseph’s in various roles, always in the pursuit of continuous improvement and excellence in the quality of care provided to our patients and families. The award recognizes St. Joseph’s teams who have made an outstanding contribution toward improvement in quality patient care.
Past Sandra Letton Quality Award recipients
- 2019: Infectious Diseases Care Program - Fecal Microbial Transplantation team
- 2018: Zero Suicide Initiative Team
- 2017: Primary Care Diabetes Support Program
- 2015: Food and Nutrition Services Team and Veterans Care Team
- 2014: Spinal Cord Injury rehabilitation and research teams
- 2013: St. Joseph's Breast Care Program team and 5BS Alternatives to Restraints team
Sisters of St. Joseph Awards for Excellence
The Sisters of St. Joseph Awards of Excellence is a deeply meaningful, annual tradition at St. Joseph’s that began in 1990 as a lasting way to honour the legacy of the Sisters of St. Joseph.
The awards honour staff, physicians and volunteers who share the remarkable attributes of the Sisters - excellence, positive attitude, reliability, honesty, efficiency, creativity, respect, caring, compassion, empathy and appreciation for the work of others. Individuals and teams are nominated by co-workers who describe each nominee’s acts of support, collaboration, caring and innovation. Without knowing anyone’s identity, an awards selection committee comprised of representatives from all St. Joseph’s sites, rates the nominations and selects the recipients for the year.
To be nominated for a Sisters of St. Joseph Award and to be a recipient is an honour. It carries with it all that makes St. Joseph’s an organization that earns the complete confidence in the care we provide and makes a lasting difference in the quest to live fully.
Service Recognition Awards
St. Joseph's Service Recognition Program is a celebration of the dedication and commitment of our staff, physicians and volunteers. Each year, we honour those who have reached milestones of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and more years of service.