Facts and stats
St. Joseph’s Health Care London is a major patient care, teaching and research centre.
Owned and operated by the St. Joseph’s Health Care Society, it is incorporated and governed by a volunteer board of directors from our community.
With its founding organizations, St. Joseph’s has a distinguished legacy of services to London and Southwestern Ontario and to the veterans of Canada.
About St. Joseph's
- One of Ontario's 23 academic hospitals
- Comprised of: St. Joseph's Hospital, Parkwood Institute, Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care, Mount Hope Centre for Long Term Care, and 12 team and service locations across the region.
- Total facilities square footage: 3,238,680
- Major roles in: day and short stay surgery; complex chronic disease management; specialized mental health care; rehabilitation; complex continuing care; palliative care; long term care; and veterans care
- Affiliated with Western University, providing learning experiences for students from colleges and universities around the world
2020/2021 operating budget: $501.6 million
- Ontario provincial funding: $352.9 million
- Federal funding (Veterans Affairs Canada): $32.0 million
- Other funding sources: $117.2 million
Facts and stats for the year-ended March 31, 2020
- Physicians - primary appointments citywide: 1,336*
- Residents, clinical fellows and medical students citywide: 2,205*
- Other health care student placements (nursing, physiotherapy, psychology etc): 798**
- Volunteers: 896
- Inpatient beds (5 sites): 1,052
- Outpatient/outreach visits: 956,387***
- Day/short stay surgeries: 21,822
- Urgent Care Centre visits: 47,736
- View our full audited financial statements for the year-ended March 31, 2020
St. Joseph's Hospital
St. Joseph’s Hospital continues to expand its role in day and short-stay surgery, ambulatory treatment and management of complex medical and chronic disease, illness prevention, research and education. Interdisciplinary teams provide comprehensive assessment, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care through our specialty programs, including urology, diabetes, rheumatology, pain management, osteoporosis, hand and upper limb, eye care, lung disease, ears, nose and throat, head and neck surgery, gastroenterology, breast care and more. A full range of diagnostic services, including leading-edge medical imaging and laboratory services, support the programs.
Watch a video about St. Joseph's Hospital to learn more.
Parkwood Institute's Mental Health Care Building
Parkwood Institute's Mental Health Care Building and the Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care offer specialized bed-based and community-based mental health care services for individuals with serious mental illness. Interdisciplinary teams provide assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services and strengthen community partnerships to help people regain independence in the place of their choice.
- Beds: 153
- Additional COVID-19 pandemic surge beds: 3
- Outpatient/outreach visits: 171,271***
Parkwood Institute's Main Building
Parkwood institute's Main Building (including the Arthur J. Hobbins Building, Western Counties Wing and the Neurobehavioural Rehabilitation Centre) offers complex care, rehabilitation, palliative care, specialized geriatric services and veterans care for inpatients and outpatients, and long-term care for veterans.
- Existing beds: 344
- Additonal COVID-19 pandemic surge beds: 48
- Outpatient/outreach visits: 293,814***
Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care
Mount Hope Centre for Long-Term Care
Mount Hope provides short and long-term care for residents who are 18 years of age or older and who may be cognitively impaired, physically and/or mentally challenged, and/or suffer from chronic illness. A significant number of younger residents enjoy programs tailored to their needs.
- Beds (St. Mary's and Marian Villa): 394
*Total number working across St. Joseph's and London Health Sciences Centre
**Numbers end as of March 16 due to COVID-19 and placement cancellations
***Includes visits with physicians, nurses, therapists and other members of the care team
Lawson Health Research Institute is the research institute of St. Joseph's Health Care London and London Health Sciences Centre. Lawson is one of the top 10 hospital-based research institutes in Canada attracting over $123 million in research funding each year. Lawson researchers focus their efforts on the development of new knowledge that can be applied directly to patient care within the hospitals. At St. Joseph's, Lawson investigators conduct research in specialized areas like medical imaging, chronic disease, microbiome and probiotics, diabetes, infectious diseases, mental health, cognitive vitality and brain health, and mobility and activity.
- Lawson researchers, support staff, volunteers, students and fellows - 2,400
- Total research funding - $123,790 million
- Active research projects - 2,286
- Compassion Matters Here
We care for the whole person – body, mind and spirit.