Medical Imaging: CT and CAT - Before You Arrive
Important notes for your appointment
Please make the following arrangements for your appointment:
- You may not eat any food for 4 hours before your exam and are only permitted to drink water.
- Do not drink any caffeinated drinks on the day of your exam; no coffee, tea, energy drinks, or caffeinated sodas.
- You will need someone to drive you home after this test. Please make arrangements for that person to accompany you to your appointment.
- Please bring a current list of all medications you are taking, including prescribed and over the counter medications, and herbal or natural remedies.
- Take all of your regular medications as ordered.
- If you are on a beta blocker, please take it in the morning on the day of your exam.
- Do not use Viagra or any similar medications the day before or the day of the exam as it may cause a reaction with the medications you will receive during the procedure. Talk to your doctor if you have questions.
- If you are diabetic, ask your doctor how to adjust your medications for the day of your test. If you think your blood sugar is low at any time during your appointment or exam, tell the nurse or technologist immediately.
Important details for your care providers
Tell your technologist and your doctor if you are:
- Pregnant or think you may be pregnant
- Allergic to iodine or any medications
- Undergoing radiation therapy
- A patient with a history of kidney problems or if you are over 70 years old; you may be required to have a blood test to evaluate your kidney function prior to receiving any contrast agent