Community Stroke Rehabilitation Team
Integrated, individualized care for stroke survivors
Specialized expertise, coordinated teamwork and a personalized approach to supporting stroke survivors in their communities.
A partnership of:
- St. Joseph's Health Care London
- Huron Perth Healthcare Alliance
- Grey Bruce Health Services
- Stroke Network Southwestern Ontario
In June 2008, the South West LHIN, as part of the Aging at Home Initiative, confirmed funding for the Specialized Community Stroke Rehabilitation Teams that provide therapy in a variety of settings, including the home, for adults recovering from stroke.
Partnering very closely with the Community Care Access Centre and primary care providers, the Community Stroke Rehabilitation Teams are providing integrated, individualized care for stroke survivors in the community. Services became available in early 2009.
- download Community Stroke Rehabilitation Team brochure
- download an information sheet for stroke survivors and their families
- download an information sheet for healthcare professionals
- Shorter hospital stays
- Fewer hospital re-admissions
- Better access to publicly funded rehabilitation services
- Fewer admissions to long-term care
- Reduction in stroke risk factors
- Greater functional recovery
- Reduced caregiver burden
- Reduced incidence of depression in stroke survivors and caregivers
Health care system benefits
- Cost savings to the healthcare system
- Reduced dependence on hospital and long-term care services
- Earlier discharge from in-patient settings
- More efficient, cost-effective rehabilitation system
- Coordinated, inter-professional care optimizing use of health human resources
- Adoption of best practices and capacity building
Community Stroke Rehabilitation Team: Our vision
We make possibilities come to life for stroke survivors.
To achieve this we use:
- Evidence-based care
- Comprehensive rehab
- Innovative problem solving
- Inspired teaching
- Compassionate support
Who do we serve?
We have three teams:
- The Thames Valley team works out of Parkwood Institute in London
- The Huron Perth team works out of Seaforth Community Hospital
- The Grey Bruce team works out of Owen Sound General Hospital