Medical Imaging - Before You Arrive
Respectful and a compassionate care
We recognize that needing testing or medical care can be stressful and strive to provide a respectful and a compassionate care environment for patients, staff and visitors, allowing us to provide excellence in care.
To make your visit for medical imaging as pleasant as possible, while respecting the needs of others, we ask that you review the following instructions:
- St. Joseph's is a fragrance free facility. To prevent allergic reactions and respiratory distress for other patients, visitors and staff please do not wear perfume, cologne or scented body products to your appointment.
- If you have diabetes and wear an insulin pump or a continuous glucose monitoring system, including a sensor, transmitter, or receiver, you must remove this device from your body prior to your exam or procedure as the imaging equipment may affect the operation of your device. Also, any sensor (ex. Libre, Dexcom, Veo, etc.) must be removed prior to your imaging test and then replaced with a new sensor when the test is finished.
- Please do not bring young children to your appointment unless accompanied by another adult as they cannot be able to be in the exam room during your test.
- If you require an interpreter to be present for your appointment, please call Bookings at 519 646-6044 before your appointment so arrangements can be made for this service.
- You may need someone to drive you home from the hospital after your test or procedure. If this is a requirement for your exam or procedure, you will be notified before your appointment.
- If you have a medical imaging appointment scheduled and you are admitted to hospital, please tell your care team about your appointment. This reduces “no shows” and helps to reduce wait times, helping you to get the care you need when you need it.
- If you cannot come for your appointment for any reason, please be sure to cancel it, which will allow us to fill you spot.
Preparing for your appointment
- Bring your health card.
- Bring a current list of all medications, including over the counter medications, herbal or natural supplements that you are taking.
- Bring a carry bag to store any clothing or personal items. Please leave your valuables at home.
- Wear a jogging suit or similar clothing. If you wear clothing with zippers or metal buttons, you will need to put on a hospital gown for your exam.
- If you require a driver to take you home from the hospital after your test, please make your own arrangements.
Review your instructions carefully
Some tests require preparation, such as dietary restrictions, before your test. Please review the instructions received with your appointment letter or click the test you are having below:
- Bone Mineral Density testing
- Breast imaging
- CT and CAT
- Cardiac CT Angiogram
- Digital tomosynthesis
- Gastrointestinal radiography
- Nuclear medicine
An important note about parking
Please note: Parking at St. Joseph’s Hospital can be challenging. Please leave plenty of time ahead of your scheduled appointment to find a parking spot.
Many medical imaging exams or procedures may take 2 hours or longer with no opportunity to leave to move your vehicle. Please take this into account when choosing your parking spot.