Mount Hope Centre for Long Term Care - What To Expect
What is long-term care?
Long-term care is a home for those in need of some nursing care on an ongoing or daily basis. Long term care populations include people with significant health challenges and/or cognitive impairment who need 24-hour access to nursing care and supervision.
Three beds at Mount Hope are available for short-stay individuals requiring respite or supportive care.
Respite care is available for individuals living in the community for whom the caregiver requires a period of relief or vacation. Each admission may be up to 60 days with a maximum of 90 days per year..
Accommodation and amenities
Mount Hope is comprised of two buildings joined by an above-ground, indoor ramp. The St. Mary's building opened in 1997. The Marian Villa building underwent renovations which were completed in March 2000. These renovations enhanced the environment, and focused on lounges, bathing areas, dining rooms and bedrooms.
Accommodation rates are adjusted yearly (July 1) to reflect changes in the payment entitlements from the Old Age Security (OAS), Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) and Guaranteed Annual Income System (GAINS). The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care determines accommodation rates for all long term care homes in Ontario.
There are three accommodation types at Mount Hope: private, semi-private and basic. Residents are encouraged to bring a few personal items from home to help make their room more home-like. All rooms have call bells to ensure that residents are always able to alert staff when assistance is needed.
Meals are served in bright, spacious dining rooms on each unit. Residents are offered meal choices by dietary aides and served accordingly. Residents are also offered three snacks per day.
Lounge and Activity Rooms:
Each floor has an activity lounge where residents can relax or socialize with each other and their family and friends. Lounges and activity rooms are also used by therapeutic recreation staff for formal programs.
Gardens and Courtyard:
The protected courtyard is a focal point of the Mount Hope community. Its meandering paths, benches and flower beds provide a wonderful view from inside the building. It provides an opportunity for residents to experience the outdoors – an important part of the philosophy for long term care. In season this area is accessible to residents of Mount Hope and are an excellent place to relax and visit. Residents are also encouraged to help tend the gardens through the Therapeutic Recreation programs.
The Town Square:
The Town Square is a large, bright and open gathering place for residents, family and friends. It has become the central meeting space as well as a favorite spot to relax in the company of others.
- The Courtyard Cafe serves coffee, soup, sandwiches and desserts
- The Village Shoppe, operated by volunteers, sells gifts, candy, toiletries, cards and stamps
- Multi-Faith prayer room which is available to residents and visitors
- The Library offers books, audio books, CDs, videos, and a computer with e-mail and the internet
- The Rec Hall is used for large social events and can be booked for special occasions and social gatherings of family and friends
- The Chapel offers a variety of services for residents of many faiths
- Hair Trends Beauty Shop offers a range of hair services
- The Wellness Centre is a large multipurpose area designed to allow residents to take advantage of our many recreational and restorative opportunities. Included in this area are exercise and therapy equipment, the music therapy area, and the art studio