Specialized Geriatric Services
Specialized Geriatric Services (SGS) is a network of specialty teams in ambulatory, outreach and inpatient settings that specialize in the assessment, intervention, and management of older persons with functional decline, frailty and complexities throughout Southwestern Ontario.
Affiliated with the Regional Geriatric Programs of Ontario (RGPs of Ontario), the London RGP is housed in SGS.
The Ministry of Health established guidelines in 1987 for the creation of Regional Geriatric Programs (RGPs) in Ontario. The RGPs were established in the five existing Ontario Medical School/Academic Health Sciences Centres between 1988 and 1992. These Centres include London, Hamilton, Toronto, Kingston and Ottawa.
Their mandate includes:
- Clinical services
- Teaching and education
- Clinical research and evaluation
The primary goal of the RGP is to enable elderly people to live independently within their own communities through the provision of expert medical, functional and psychosocial assessment.
Working in partnership with family practitioners, community agencies and support services, the RGP and its network seeks to ensure appropriate treatment of seniors with multiple problems, thereby avoiding inappropriate placement.
Each RGP offers an array of services that reflects the needs of the region
- To be a group of specialized geriatric services linked by a common purpose
- To provide leadership in improving the quality of life of frail older persons in the southwestern Ontario region across LHIN 1 and LHIN 2
- To improve the services available to frail older persons wherever they live
- To provide exemplary comprehensive assessment, consultation and referral services, direct care and caregiver support
- To provide leadership in the education and training of students and care-providers and in ongoing research
- To provide a fully integrated system of services with the capacity to provide and support comprehensive, compassionate, client-centred care to frail older persons and their caregivers
- Together with our partners, we increase the capacity of the health care and social service system to enhance the quality of life of frail older persons
- Respect, excellence, compassion