Who We Are
St. Joseph’s Health Care London is a major patient care, teaching and research centre.
Owned and operated by the St. Joseph’s Health Care Society, it is incorporated and governed by a volunteer board of directors from our community. With its founding organizations, St. Joseph’s has a distinguished legacy of services to London and Southwestern Ontario and to the veterans of Canada.
About St. Joseph's
- One of Ontario's 23 academic hospitals
- Comprised of: St. Joseph's Hospital, Parkwood Institute, Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care, Mount Hope Centre for Long Term Care, and 12 team and service locations across the region.
- Total facilities square footage: 3,238,680
- Major roles in: day and short stay surgery; complex chronic disease management; specialized mental health care; rehabilitation; complex continuing care; palliative care; long term care; and veterans care
- Affiliated with Western University, providing learning experiences for students from colleges and universities around the world
2017/2018 Operating Expense: $485.6 million
Ontario provincial funding: $340.1 million
Federal funding (Veterans Affairs Canada): $28.9 million
Other funding sources: $116.6 million
Facts and Stats for the Year End March 31, 2018:
Physicians - primary appointments citywide: 1,256
Residents, clinical fellows and medical students citywide: 2,085
Other health care student placements (nursing, physiotherapy, psychology etc): 791
Inpatient beds (5 sites): 1,014
Outpatient/outreach visits: 916,402*
Day and short stay surgeries: 23,706
Urgent Care Centre visits: 46,060
St. Joseph’s Hospital:
St. Joseph’s Hospital continues to expand its role in day and short-stay surgery, ambulatory treatment and management of complex medical and chronic disease, illness prevention, research and education. Interdisciplinary teams provide comprehensive assessment, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care through our specialty programs, including urology, diabetes, rheumatology, pain management, osteoporosis, hand and upper limb, eye care, lung disease, ears, nose and throat, head and neck surgery, gastroenterology, breast care and more. A full range of diagnostic services, including leading-edge medical imaging and laboratory services, support the programs (watch a three-part video about St. Joseph's Hospital to learn more).
Inpatient surgeries: 1,740
Outpatient/outreach visits: 428,199 *
Urgent Care Centre visits: 46,060
Parkwood Institute's Mental Health Care Building and the Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care offer specialized bed-based and community-based mental health care services for individuals with serious mental illness. Interdisciplinary teams provide assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services and strengthen community partnerships to help people regain independence in the place of their choice.
Outpatient/outreach visits: 166,592 *
Southwest Centre for Forensic Mental Health Care
Outpatient/outreach visits: 30,397*
* Outpatient and outreach visits include visits with physicians, nurses, therapists and other health care providers
Mount Hope provides short and long term care for residents who are 18 years of age or older and who may be cognitively impaired, physically and/or mentally challenged, and/or suffer from chronic illness. A significant number of younger residents enjoy programs tailored to their needs.
- Lawson researchers, support staff, volunteers, students and fellows* - 2,400
- Total research funding* - $126 million
- Active research projects* - 2,880
*Total number across St. Joseph's and London Health Sciences Centre