St. Joseph's Board of Directors
A Message from the Chair
As the province and our region emerges from the grip of the COVID-19 pandemic, transformation of health care delivery in Ontario remains a key priority. In response, St. Joseph’s is embarking on a refreshed strategic plan that will shape the next four years and strengthen our role as a leading academic teaching organization within an integrated health system.
With a proud and illustrious legacy in care, teaching and research, St. Joseph’s remains committed to finding solutions in times of change to ensure those we serve receive the care they need. At no time have the strengths of St. Joseph’s, and our values of excellence, respect and compassion, been so evident as during the turbulent months of the still-evolving pandemic. Guided by our firm foundation in Catholic health care, St. Joseph’s has always risen to every challenge with great innovation and ingenuity.
Our commitment to our patients, residents and the community remains steadfast. In today’s complex health care landscape, the St. Joseph’s Board of Directors plays a vital role in the direction of the hospital and in monitoring progress and performance. Our mandate is fulfilled through a strong governance structure, a commitment to excellence and the dedication of all those who are part of the St. Joseph's family.
As a Board of Directors, we govern in relationship with others – with the engagement of care providers and patients; volunteers and donors; researchers and learners; regional and community partners; and local and provincial governments; as well as with the guidance and support of our sponsors, the St. Joseph's Health Care Society and the Bishop of the Diocese of London.
Looking ahead, I am excited by what we will accomplish as an organization, together with our partners and our supportive community. While remaining rooted, as always, in our enduring mission, we will continue to earn complete confidence in the care we provide and make a difference in the quest to live fully.
Chair, Board of Directors
Join the Board
St. Joseph's Health Care London's Board of Directors is comprised of 23 directors with a range of health care, business, and community service experience.
- At least 1 member of the clergy from the Catholic Diocese (because we are a faith-based organization);
- The Dean of the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry (because of our affiliation with The University of Western Ontario);
- 3 members of the medical staff (as per the Ontario Public Hospitals Act);
- Chief Nurse Executive (as per the Excellent Care for All Act 2010);
- Representative of the St. Joseph's Health Care Foundation;
- Representative of the St. Joseph's Health Care Society;
- St. Joseph's President and CEO; with the balance of the Directors selected from Board committees.
When a member leaves our Board after their term, which is a maximum of six years, the Nominating Subcommittee looks for a replacement with a similar set of skills and/or additional skills and backgrounds to round out the Board complement.
Candidates are typically drawn from the Board's Committee Members who have spent several years participating and learning about St. Joseph's and the various health care services it provides to the community. A candidate's ability to give a significant amount of volunteer time and their level of commitment to the organization are important factors in the selection process.
Once the Nominating Subcommittee identifies potential candidates, their biographies are given to our owners, St. Joseph's Health Care Society. The Society is kept up-to-date throughout the nominating process, since it ultimately approves new Board Directors at its annual meeting of the members.
For more information, please contact the Office of the Board Chair at 519-646-6100 x.64202 or via email to Terri-Lynn Cook, Executive Assistant.
Regular meetings of the St. Joseph's Health Care London Board of Directors ("Board") are traditionally held on the last Monday of the month.
The public and staff are welcome to observe the open portion of the Board’s meetings to:
- facilitate the conduct of the Board’s business in an open and transparent manner;
- ensure the corporation maintains a close relationship with the public, the media and stakeholder groups; and
- generate trust and accountability.
If you are interested in attending the Board of Directors meeting, please notify Terri-Lynn Cook by telephone 24 hours in advance of the meeting at 519-646-6100 ext 64202 or email @email. Anyone who attends a Board meeting without providing required notice may be asked to leave at the request of the Chair.
Conduct During a Board Meeting
- Scheduled attendees/guests will have observer status, meaning that they may not provide comments or questions during the meeting, unless requested by the Board Chair.
- Recording, videotaping and/or photography are prohibited. All cell phones and other electronic devices shall be put on silent.
- Anyone who is disruptive to the proceedings will be asked to leave and may be prohibited from attending future meetings.
- In the event that the scheduled attendees/guests have questions arising from the Board meeting, the Board Chair and/or Chief Executive Officer will be available upon request to address queries after the meeting.
Agendas for the open portion of the Board’s meetings will be posted on St. Joseph’s public website five (5) days in advance of each meeting (supporting materials to the agenda are only provided to Directors of the Corporation and members of St. Joseph’s Senior Leadership Team). Please refer to each posted agenda for the scheduled time that the meeting will be called to order and the noted list of upcoming meetings provided below.
- September 27, 2021
- October 25, 2021
- November 29, 2021
Past meeting minutes
- Board Minutes May 2021
- Board Minutes April 2021
- Board Minutes March 2021
- Board Minutes February 2021
- Board Minutes January 2021
- Board Minutes November 2020
- Board Minutes October 2020
- Board Minutes September 2020
- Board Minutes June 2020
- Board Minutes May 2020
- Board Minutes April 2020
- Board Minutes March 2020
- Board Minutes February 2020
- Board Minutes January 2020
- Board Minutes November 2019
CEO Report to the Board
CEO Report to the Board
Relationship of London's hospitals
London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph’s Health Care London remain committed to partnership, collaboration and system integration for the people we serve across our community, our region and beyond.
To do this, we use a variety of service models, including joint ventures, shared roles and functions, and integrated positions. At the heart of our approach is to strengthen the relationship between our organizations at all levels while continuing to support each hospital’s distinct missions and needs.
Since 1997, these relationships have been guided by a set of principles and they still stand today.
The Joint Collaboration Agreement was last revised May 2016, and outlines how LHSC and St. Joseph’s will jointly govern and manage all existing and future voluntary arrangements and relationships between the two hospital corporations.
It further solidifies how our Boards and CEOs will work together to ensure:
- The successful completion of the Health Services Restructuring Commission and Government directives as they pertain to London
- That hospital-based patient care needs of London/Middlesex and specialty hospital support to Southwestern Ontario are met
- That with our academic partners, London’s position as a leading centre for academic health sciences in partnership is maintained, and
- That with our health care partners, we continue to pursue opportunities to improve the health system